Saturday, March 06, 2010

To unschool or not to unschool, that's the question....



Yesterday, I was reading this blog. She put some really interesting links in this post. Like this lecture on YouTube by an unschooled (now) adult.
 
I've written a long post about our (un)school journey, but I think I'll save it for an other time.
 
Just enjoy listening to Astra Taylor!
 
The lecture starts at 3:45; there is an introduction first. At 45:00 Astra answers some questions from the audience. The nice thing is that this is a lecture by an unschooled kid that is a grown up now. An adult who still likes having been unschooled. With an unschooled sister who is homeschooling her own children now.

5 comments:

Alison said...

Sounds like a very interesting video, now where will I find an hour an 15 minutes to sit down and watch though..?

Mirjam said...

Hi Alison ;), you can watch it bit by bit? Or in the evening/morning when the kids are sleeping? Or when hubby takes the kids for a walk?

Amanda said...

I watched that video a few months ago, and it's really interesting. I really think the results of unschooling come down to family culture. Astra's family culture was not too different from mine in terms of freedom from academic pressure and access to resources, except that my parents are Christians and I learned about the Lord from them (and I also went to school!).

But honestly, I want something different for my own kids. My family was very focused on the individual -- we weren't always a very cohesive unit. My sisters are very talented and following their dreams, but they are no longer Christians. That saddens me, and I pray my own children will stay close to the Lord.

Mirjam said...

Hi Amanda,

There are Christian Unschoolers :). I know what you mean, but you don't think you can combine unschooling and being/living (the) Christian (life)?

Ceekee said...

Ik ga er eens rustig naar kijken, als ik een geschikt moment vind :)